Wednesday, June 11, 2014

I'm Actually Allergic

I'm not sure what it is, but I don't get burned or tan, exactly. It kind of looks like hives. Red blotches of skin that itch like hell. I guess. I don't have first-hand experience with hell. I try to go about my business. I rub aloe vera on the rashes, and then rub a considerable amount of SPF 45 on those limbs the next morning (yes, 45; I still need Vitamin D).

So, I'm a little nervous about moving to Nice. Nice has 147 days of "strong sun" and 64 days of "weak sun" annually. That's 211 days of sun. I'm used to a 164 days of sun! I will have to deal with 47 extra days of sunshine! Oh my! What am I going to do?!

I'll probably continue to use aloe and sunscreen as necessary. They've proved to be helpful so far. There's an aloe vera distributor in Paris, so if worst comes to worst, I'll just take the 5-hour train ride to Paris, load up on aloe vera, and shoot back down to Nice. No problem.

I'm leaving my undergraduate's environmental campus in late August to go teach English to French college students. It sounds like something fun to do for a year while I "figure my shit out." In other words, I plan to partake in grand objectives, like "reflection" and "listening to my inner self" this year before I make my next move into the "real world." I like the ironic use of quotation marks.

Meanwhile, this summer I'll be at Pine Lake, doing maintenance, cleaning out cabins after renters, and reading. Also, I might make some pie. And go canoeing. And play boardgames. Invigorating stuff.

I plan to write about it all here (my lone motivator to write something this summer). And then I'll talk about Nice, too, once I get there. I'll keep you posted--on my skin condition, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment